Thank you for taking time to review our project; share it, tweet it and like us on Facebook, or even better, back us up and help to kickstart Yunika!
Sharing is caring!
2. About Yunika
The idea is simple: to create unique, durable and eco-superior boards and apparel that not only respect the environment but also those creating them, right through to the end user.
Yunika focuses on having all of its products sustainably made from the best raw materials possible combined with the best known craftsmanship to date.
Every product we create contains a spirit expressing environmental and societal awareness... our boards are not just eco-friendly, but truly eco-superior products in functionality, design and value. At Yunika we have the passion and drive to do and create what has not been done before.
That´s it, the heart of Yunika.
About YUNIKAS' name:
- The name Yunika defines the company
- The Y and the K stand for the company's location in the Yukon Territory
- UNIKA embodies our cutting edge technology and the uniqueness of our products and construction materials
- The drops within the logo represent the brands affinity to water, the element which creates life, illustrating the company's eco-mindedness
- The negative space in between the drops represents the Y from YUNIKA
- The colors of the drops represent the distinctive traditional Pacific North Western Art
2.1 About Us
We ourselves are passionate boarders. Snowboarding is our way of life - we think, breathe and live for it- that´s exactly what makes the difference. We personally care about our products; designing them, building them, and riding them, to ensure quality and riding satisfaction for all. We are passionate about ensuring that our products are the best and that they stay the best.
Everything started two years ago when we realized that today's snowboards chip and break easily, whilst their production methods leave a lot to be desired when it comes to environmental protection.
So we started to do some research into materials and the production process. We were looking for the possibility to improve durability by using alternative, sustainable, recyclable or recycled materials and a construction method that was less polluting.
We are all passionate and experienced riders and we care about our surroundings. Driven by the love of boarding sports we have the desire to change the industry by thinking differently. Respect, integrity, caring for the planet and the well being of people is at the heart of our organization. Because... ...
We Do Not Inherit the Earth from Our Ancestors; We Borrow It from Our Children. (1)
Together let’s make a difference, NOW!
2.2 Our Philosophy
THE BEST WASTE IS THE ONE WE DON’T PRODUCE!
Unfortunately that is not self-evident anymore. Climate change (global warming) is the largest environmental threat humans have ever faced! If we still want to have fresh air to skate, clean water to surf and snow to ride in the future then we have to act today.
The standard construction of regular snowboards is highly pollutant. It goes without saying that using these materials is unhealthy for us all, from the workers in the factory all the way to future generations who will inhabit our planet.
By using different methods and recycled, natural materials, recycling every bit of our production waste (board fiber, pre-consumer scrap from textile waste, water based inks, sustainable wood grades, etc) we considerably reduce our impact on the planet. This is why we have and always will look to find alternative sustainable and eco-friendly materials.
3. Our Products
The uniqueness of our idea is using sustainable materials, like local wood species FSC® certified, bio-based fibers (100% natural from existing by-products or waste streams that are generated by pre-existing industries), reinforced wood sidewalls, eco-superior epoxy and water based inks. By using these alternative materials we reduce the environmental stress and waste, whilst at the same time increasing the durability, style and optimum performance of our products. It´s our aim to build eco-superior products.
The idea is not just about improving materials used, it´s a lot more than that-it´s about respect. Respecting mother nature by building eco-superior products and also respecting each other. Yunika is located in Whitehorse, in the heart of the First Nations community. In order to support their culture, we decided to promote some of their designs on our boards that share their spirit, culture and respect towards nature. On top of this we also want to give back to the community, supporting no-for-profit-organizations who campaign for respect towards mother nature and our fellow human beings.
3.1. Our Snowboards
Yunika will offer 8 snowboards in the range. 5 for men and 3 for women. They are divided into 2 categories for easy rewards list.
The White Pass Collection and The Gold Rush Collection.
The White Pass Collection:
Click on the picture to find out more about these snowboards or please visit our website.
The Gold Rush Collection:
Click on the picture to find out more about these snowboards or please visit our website.
We will be able to carry sizes 140 cm to 164 cm depending on the model. If you're not sure about the size you need, our expert team will take the time to offer you skilled advice based on your level and riding style to identify what will suit you best.
4. Our Technology and Materials
All of our boards are handcrafted with passion. Here is a descriptive list of our materials and technologies:
- Direct Print Technology: We print directly onto the topsheet to cut down on printing processes resulting in more vibrant colors rendering and better artwork depth and quality.
- Wooden Sidewalls: Our sidewalls are made of 100% reinforced bamboo. Super tough and 100% natural, this also help us to reduce our dependence on plastic.
- Sintered & Extruded Base: Made from Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW-PE) it's one of the fastest and easiest to repair.
- 100% Natural Bio Fiber: Next generation 100% bio-fiber that is almost half the weight of traditional fiberglass with the same great properties. Truly revolutionary, biodegradable, renewable, non-abrasive, safer to the human being and Mother Nature.
- Reclaimed Impact Absorber: Same idea as with the bio-fiber but all natural fiber. We are using recycled fiber to dampen vibration and acting as a shock absorber. Pretty neat right!
- Recycled Nanopopster Stringers: We are using recycled synthetic fibers as reinforcement which retains more than 98% of its properties after treatment. No additional production, just the recycling of old fibers for a second life cycle.
- No VOC's Epoxy: This epoxy provides unmatched bond adhesion, elasticity, durability and on top of that it releases no VOC's! Altogether much better for the environment.
- 100% sustainably sourced Wood Core: Different local wood species and densities are strategically placed for the best mechanical properties of the core.
- Local Wood Veneer topsheet: We are using local wood veneer on our boards to have a one of a kind finish. Every veneer is unique, and so is your board.
- Handcrafted With Passion: Proudly made by passionate people it's handcrafted to perfection with devotion to eco-responsibility, to create a real gem ready for action.
4.1 Snowboard Construction:
Click on the picture to find out more about our technology or please visit our website.
5. Our Apparel
Creating and producing apparel using recycled materials, local resources and local workers helps to drastically reduce the CO2 footprint of our products, saving thousands of liters of water and most importantly preserving the North America textiles industry. Our apparel collection will be made from 100% recycled pre-consumer cotton waste and post-consumer recycled polyester (PET), which is derived primarily from plastic bottles and post-industrial polyester scraps. Here are some numbers:
- 35% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
- 66% reduction in energy consumption
- 55% reduction in water consumption
- Womens Collection:
- Mens Collection:
- Mens Zip Hoodie & Unisex Pullover Collection:
- Hat Collection:
- Our Drawstring Backpack
6. Our Stickers
Awesome assorted sticker collection on a giant 10" x 6,5" sheet. You'll have enough to put them anywhere you like, responsibly of course!
7. Give back project
This project isn't about profit and maximizing it, that´s why we truly believe in creating a "Yunika Gives Back" program, by supporting the following not for profit organizations:
1% for the Planet:
Started in 2002 by Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, and Craig Mathews, owner of Blue Ribbon Flies, 1% for the Planet is a platform of credibility and engagement for environmentally conscious brands that are truly committed to making a positive impact with their business. This growing global movement of over 1,400 member companies in 45 countries donate one percent of annual sales to environmental organizations worldwide. Yunika also wants to become a member and donate 1% of its profit for the planet.
To learn more go to: 1% for the planet website
Protect the Peel:
Canada's Peel River Watershed, encompassing 14% of the Yukon Territory, is one of the largest and most beautiful intact natural ecosystems left in North America. The thriving and growing guiding and wilderness tourism industries in the Peel are based on undisturbed nature far from roads, industry or towns, healthy wildlife, and clean water that can be drunk straight out of the rivers. However industrial development in the form of roads and exploration for minerals, oil, and gas, threatens to fragment this stunning landscape and harm its delicate ecological balance.
To learn more go to: Protect the Peel Website
8. Why do we need Kickstarter?
Because of our unique product construction, our suppliers request that we order in bulk to reach their Minimum Order Quantity.
We cannot make it without your support. This is the reason why we are on Kickstarter now.
The upside of these MOQs is that it allows us to keep our overheads and prices as low as other much larger competitive brands out there, but with the added advantage of better, greener products!
It's a win-win situation for all.
No doubt we need Kickstarter but more importantly we need Kickstarters' backers. Every one of you is important, even those who don’t back us now through funding may help to spread Yunikas message by sharing our project on social media, and in a way this is backing us...
Finally! Here we are, talking about your reward! We always wanted to offer different options and rewards to our backers, and the possibility to find something from Yunika for every budget!
Have a look through our rewards detailed in the pictures above, we've grouped them into collections so it is easier for you to choose from. We will contact you personally to ask you for your specific reward from the chosen collection and also the size.
We will not be selling Yunika products in retail stores until all Kickstarter rewards have been shipped. That's a promise!
10. RISKS & CHALLENGES
Yunika is an ambitious project. A significant amount of time, engineering and design has been involved. We've already completed all the designs, tooling, prototyping and test phases of the project.
Supply Chain :
We have established excellent relationships with our suppliers and we are working with an experienced factory in order to guarantee outstanding materials and finished products.
We ordered the main raw materials prior the Kickstarter launch in order to be able to fulfill the campaigns rewards in the quickest time we can.
Of course, we cannot predict the future and which rewards will be most popular.
However we always strive to solve all the problems or challenges we face. We also commit to updating you on what’s happening with your order, and being as transparent as possible, to ensure 100% satisfaction and to build trust with our first brand supporters.
As we have different suppliers, we could run into some unforeseen problems such as shipping delays, which may result in us having to ship items from the same order separately.
Acts of mother nature...
When she gets angry and strikes she can cause havoc for us as we're based in Whitehorse Yukon, Canada. If a huge storm hits we could be immersed in an early winter. We know what you're thinking! Yes we also have summer up here even in the great white north...
Despite wearing Canadian goose jackets and having good snow tires, we could be stuck for a few days without the chance to send out orders. In this case we'll keep on packing, like the elves before Chrismas and ship it to you ASAP.
Finally, "We all know that dreaming is free, but converting fantasies into reality can be pretty expensive and that's where Kickstarter community can help." (NPR)2
(1) 1994, Talking on the Water: Conversations About Nature and Creativity by Jonathan White, David Brower: The Archdruid Himself, Start Page 37, Quote Page 47, Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, California. (Verified on paper) 07/04/2015
(2) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112506250 07/04/2015