TWENTY STORIES: LA's MOBILE BOOKSTORE
Twenty Stories is an independent mobile bookstore that operates out of a renovated vintage van. Each month we'll carry twenty new book titles in the genres of fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and literary magazines. Our book selection values innovative and emerging writers and presses, as well as established authors in the literary community.
Founded and operated by writers Emory Harkins and Alexa Trembly, their goal is to grow the literary community in and around Los Angeles by showcasing literature in new spaces.
The inspiration for Twenty Stories came a year after we moved to Los Angeles. After searching for a literary community outside of the Hollywood industry, we quickly realized few spaces for writers and readers already existed. And we set out to fill this gap so writers and readers alike have a place to find engaging and relevant literature. We plan to simplify the book-buying experience by curating a top-tier selection and we can't wait for you to find your next favorite read.
WHERE TO FIND US
We'll never make the Twenty Stories van hard to find. Every morning we will update our social media with our location for the next day. Although we plan to travel far and wide within Los Angeles, the van's home will be in Downtown LA's burgeoning Arts District.
In addition to the Arts District, common haunts will include:
- Santa Monica Beach
- North Vermont Ave. in Los Feliz
- Sunset Triangle Plaza in Silver Lake
- Rose Bowl Flea
- Melrose Trading Post
- Venice Beach
- Colleges & Universities
- Your Favorite Dog Parks
- and more...
WAYS TO MAXIMIZE YOUR TWENTY STORIES EXPERIENCE
- Join the Twenty Stories Bookclub — dive into a new reading experience with a beachside book club hosted monthly at the van, featuring one of our selected authors.
- Drink A Cup of Joe & Hang Out — we'll be serving up simple brewed coffee to enhance your book-browsing experience, and feel free to take a seat at our cafe table.
- Read On the Beach — the smell of the ocean mixed with the crisp pages of a new book... how often does that happen?
- Ask for Recommendations — chat with us about your taste in books and we'll guide you towards the right choice.
- Read New Writing Published on the Twenty Stories Blog —discover new literary voices on the Twenty Stories blog as we publish an emerging writer each month.
BRANDING & RENOVATIONS
Now to the nuts and bolts. We collaborated with fellow Pratt Institute alumnus, illustrator and graphic designer Jordan Moss, to give the Twenty Stories van a makeover...
...from a one-of-a-kind paint job to classy merchandise. The Twenty Stories van will bring you your next Instagram photo and reinvent the way you look at books in a new age of literature.
But we're going to need your help! Using the money raised on Kickstarter, the van will be custom painted with the color palate and logos above. So when we're parked around Los Angeles the van will be easy to spot and memorable to the communities we visit. A vintage van also requires a visit to the mechanic to ensure that the bookstore can continue to run smooth and stay mobile—and your support will keep the van healthy.
We're stoked to get some awesome rewards to you! We'll be sending out custom t-shirts, tote bags, moleskins, and books just to name a few.
After the Kickstarter campaign, we're ready to set sail (but on four wheels)! See below for a detailed breakdown of our schedule:
- September/October — Kickstarter campaign
- Early October — purchase & renovate the van / order books & merchandise
- Late October — grand opening of the Twenty Stories mobile bookstore
- Early November — rewards delivered to YOU, our amazing backers
SEE YOU AT THE VAN
- Thank you to our Kickstarter backers who are as passionate about great literature as they are about supporting the arts and small businesses!
- To Brenden Wedner who gave his time and energy to shoot a Kickstarter video that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
- To Jordan Moss for creating an amazing logo design and branding for Twenty Stories.
- To Brendan Eder for providing the perfect soundtrack to our video.
- To Rachel Saftler for lending her illustration skills to the video.
- To the readers and writers who put their books down to read this.
Risks and challenges
Reading books is one of the least risky activities you can do - but still...
...we understand that we live in a growing digital world. Twenty Stories supports the resurgence of small businesses built on face-to-face customer interactions. In addition, there's a growing desire for pop-up style shops that support artists and their work. Twenty Stories fits perfectly into this movement.
Because we graduated with BFAs in Creative Writing from Pratt Institute and are both writers and avid readers, we understand the literary market and how to identify on-trend authors and publications.
Since our inventory is smaller than a traditional bookstore, we continuously research the market to find the titles that will resonate with our audience and are confident we can help guide visitors to a book they'll love.
If there are any unforeseen challenges that come up we'll be sure to notify you on Kickstater. You can also stay up-to-date on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook @twentystoriesla.
Once the Kickstarter campaign is funded, Twenty Stories will become our full-time jobs. We're thrilled to begin this journey with you and hope to see you at the van!