mPIANO is a MIDI controller that hides all control functions for polyphonic expression inside the keyboard of a grand piano.
Look beyond the magnificent design and you’ll discover new expressive possibilities to inspire your creative spirit. For the first time you can shape and energize your performances on real piano keys with built-in control options.
Touch-sensitive key surfaces and high-resolution pressure/release sensitivity give you extensive real-time control of your performance after you hit the note.
- 88 original, long piano keys
- Capacitive sensor beneath the surface of each key
- Constant key resistance through innovative shape memory alloy springs
- High-resolution optical sensors to accurately measure the slightest key movements
- Adjustable note-on/note-off thresholds
- Up to four keyboard split zones with individual characteristics
- iOS App to configure individual real-time controller settings and create set lists
Beneath the surface of each key is a capacitive sensor that recognizes the location and movement of your finger on each key. Finger placement and motion on the key surface can be configured for pitch bend, aftertouch or any other continuous controller (MIDI CC) through the mPIANO iPad app. Even the length of the touch-sensitive area on the keys can be defined and customized in up to four keyboard split zones.
SHAPE MEMORY ALLOY KEY SPRINGS
One of mPIANO’s revolutionary innovations is the weighting of the keys. For the first time it is possible to have a constant counterforce for each key, no matter how far it is pressed – a property of real piano action. This is achieved by using shape memory alloy springs below each key that recall their original form when the key is released.
Unique high-resolution optical sensors below each key measure the speed of the vertical movement, delivering ten times higher precision than MIDI. Depending on your note-on threshold settings, you may trigger notes at even the slightest touch. As another example, you may assign key pressure to volume – the further a key is pressed, the louder your strings get. Assigning key pressure to aftertouch or any other CC value opens a world of options for shaping and morphing sounds.
Take the mPIANO’s user interface with you. Connect the iPad app with any mPIANO via WLAN or LAN and transfer your settings and playlists to the controller. The intuitive and comprehensive app lets you manage settings, such as:
- Division in up to 4 individual split areas; as narrow as one key
- Configuration of note-on and note-off threshold, touch-sensitive slider, key pressure
- Pedal configuration
- Set lists for live operation