Hello Foodies, Kickstarters and Serial Reviewers,
My name is Travis Renn and I in the midst of continuing a journey I started on earlier this year to create and bring to you: the only national, customer generated food truck review website! BUT, I need your help: we need to upgrade our existing website to increase capacity and offer a better experience.
WHAT: It's not known exactly nor is it official but the food truck phenomenon is said to have started in Los Angeles around the early 2000's. And since that time... due to macro economic conditions, an affinity for the trendy, convenience and the insatiable love for all things food...we are in the middle of a game changer. As a matter of fact, the food truck industry has grown 8.5% a year from 2007-2012 and revenue is expected to grow from $650M to $2.7B by 2017. OK, so now we know where we're at in the timeline...what's the next evolution for the Food Truck Industry?
This is the question I became intrigued with or should I say stuck with. I knew people loved food and also people enjoyed the value that food trucks brought to the urban environment...but I was still wondering where or what was the next step for the movement. This movement deserved a better presence. This was the thought process to why.
- No exclusive and national food truck review or rating websites available currently (occasional "Top Ten" blog posts or magazine articles don't serve the general public well enough)
- Who else is going to disrupt and challenge Yelp?! (yeah! stick to the man...but seriously...now that Yelp allows you to rate every thing and service under the sun it's very easy to get lost on Yelp or even find your food truck. Backing this fund makes you an official #disrupter !)
- "We are what we measure" (the food truck revolution is HUGE and it's a category all of its own, so we need to measure it. It needs to be reviewed and talked about and shared. It's a logical step in the process of growth in any industry)
- Food Safety (there is plenty of debate around who is generally more clean, restaurants or food trucks?, but either way....food safety regulations are present in most states and having a robust review site to compliment those regulations is paramount for general health standards. Rate and review sites are often the "smoke" before the fire and serve the general public well. In addition, some food trucks have become so popular that they are starting to franchise their trucks which creates even a greater need to ensure food safety is kept as a priority)
- Sharing (people want to be part of a world they helped create, it's that simple. It's in our very nature to share experiences and either recommend or not recommend them)
- Technology (everyone is extremely busy managing and living their life and we need...we deserve...snappy and responsive technology that gives us information quickly and effectively)
We are launching in 6 cities across the nation: Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, New York and Austin.
These are the cities that we have identified as having some of the most robust food truck followings. Stretch goals will be added later to identify a handful of the other cities we will launch next. It might not seem like a lot but remember, there are thousands of food trucks in these six cities alone which takes an enormous amount of man hours to catalog and profile all of them correctly.
- "Tiled" dashboard like previews of the food trucks for a quick and succinct view and further selection
- Real time location updates via Twitter and other technology
- Contact information for every truck (website, phone number, Twitter/Facebook/Instagram accounts and booking information)
- Accelerated social sharing capabilities built into every review
- Pop up flash videos to compliment written reviews with actual food truck footage in action
- Powerful sorting features coupled with navigational breadcrumbs for easy browsing and narrowing your search based on food type, price, etc
- Buzz Word Management: We have already registered #foodtruckreviews on Twubs and own it, thus creating a single and external landing page for all tweets and things related to that hashtag
- Social #hashtag monitoring to inlcude words like #foodtruck, etc