About this project
"Beholder" is a simulation of the life of an ordinary human being at the frightening dystopian World where the State controls every aspect of private and social life.
You are a State-installed manager of a busy apartment complex and your main goal is to spy upon your rentals so peeping and eavesdropping is a job. You must enter the dwellings of your tenants while they're at work or simply out of apartments, install hidden surveillance equipment, and search their rooms for anything that threatens the authority of the State.
Also, your job is to watch everyone closely, listen to their conversations, and collect the information you need for putting together a dossier on each tenant. Ultimately, the decisions you make will shape each person's fate.
You will not only interfere with the privacy of your tenants, you will also track their loyalty to the State, suppress illegal activity, and embed in those you oversee the mindset the government desires. You must also ensure the well-being and comfort of your residents. After all, happy and well-fed people violate the law less, right?
Despite being a small screw in the vast and ruthless machinations of the State, you will always have a choice between being a diligent but thoughtless executor of the will of the State, or risking it all and remaining a human capable of empathy and sympathy.
For example, will you report the illegal activities of the father of a large family, knowing he'll never back down from the police, and leave his children without a breadwinner? Or will you take pity on him and give him a chance to set things right? Then again, you could blackmail him and obtain the money your family desperately needs. Or you could make life in his apartment so miserable, he moves and becomes someone else's problem.
Making choices that affect the lives of people you don't know might sound easy, but would you reach the same decisions if the violator were a member of YOUR family? Or you would prefer to put violated staff under somebodys' cupboard and let it be checked first?
Will you accept the position of manager, or remain one of the faceless masses at the mercy of the ultimate authority? The State awaits your answer.
- Grim dystopian world. Grim dystopian world, atmosphere of control and total state surveillance for every aspect of citizens’ life. Anyone can be a state enemy. Neither adults nor elderly nor kids are safe.
- Total surveillance. The player will have to spy upon the house residents. Different types of surveillance cameras (from simple cameras with a small viewing angle up to large-format night vision cameras with recording functions), tapping devices with which one can put together a dossier for residents are at the player’s disposal. Constant searches in apartments allow finding evidences that declare inhabitants’ identities as well as evidences to prove offence.
- State control. Every day the State publishes directive bans that are mandatory for all citizens. The house manager is the one to monitor how the directives are executed, otherwise he or she will be charged in aiding enemies and shot. What is prohibited today? Books, topics for conversations, household items, and luxuries? All that is legal today can be banned tomorrow.
- Writing of accusations. A bureaucratic state constantly requires paperwork: characterizing each occupant, writing reports about their behavior and conversations. If a law violation is proved, the tenant will be immediately arrested and punished.
- Collecting information. By searching tenants’ apartments, the player finds information about their personality and private life and then put a detailed dossier for every resident. A decent-looking math professor can be a violent choleric attacking neighbors, while a nice confectioner can agitate customers against the state behind the manager’s back.
- Moral choice. The player will decide what to do with the collected information. One can follow the letter of the law and make an official dossier, which will result in an immediate punishment of the violator. But this is not the only option, the player can help tenants of the house, protect them from checks and arrests, and take care of his or her own profit, blackmailing those who violate the law. Is it an easy task to write an accusation when the offender is a member of your family?
- Unique heroes. There are over 30 unique heroes with their own stories, personality, hobbies, and animation. Tenants’ settings change during the game and depend on the in-game events as well as on the player’s decisions.
- Black market. Shelves in the state stores were emptied long ago, so in order to buy something really worthwhile, one has to pull strings. Tenants of different jobs will provide the player with access to various goods, alas, only those who have pulls can buy them.
- Interaction with residents. The player has eight apartments for rent, a kitchen and a laundry room. All premises should be kept in good order, repaired in time and upgraded in order to house wealthier residents and receive more income. The player should talk to every person, get to know their anxieties and discontents, learn news and give gifts in order to increase their trust level. The better the tenant treats the manager, the more he or she can prove useful: report necessary information, sell unique items, tell a life story. If a tenant’s trust level is critically low, he or she can start fighting.
- Different game strategies. There are different ways of achieving one and the same goal depending of the gameplay style. Establish trustful relations with a resident in order to get access to new goods? Put together a detailed dossier in order to get these goods by means of blackmail? Steal the goods without taking care of the consequences?
- Flexible plot. The main story and available side stories depend on the player. Every decision matters and influences the story events. The player can witness more than 10 game ends by choosing different strategies. Whether resistance wins, or state authority becomes stronger, or residents’ values change completely. Will the main hero be sent to prison? Will his or her family survive?
We plan to release game on PC/MAC early Autumn 2016. That would be a release on Steam and possibly other applicable channels that distribute downloadable games.
Android, iOs and Window Phone platforms are optional at the moment and one of our budget goals is to get funding for porting and bring these version as close to PC/MAC release as possible.
Game development is not only a job, but also a captivating process we put our heart and soul into.
Previously, all of us were working on Casual titles and game series like Snark Busters, latest Farm Frenzy games and many more! Also, we were doing porting for a number of mobile games.
First of all, we need money to complete this game. We are using our own sources that we have collected so far but it's not really enough to add all the features we want to be at the game and polish it. We have already spent more than 125K own savings and are missing 25K only to complete it or 3 months of development in summer.
Second, we want to port it on mobile so that you were able to play it everywhere!
So, we are here to gather financial sources for the following parts:
- Development and polishing on PC/MAC and Steam OS (approximately 20K and 2 months of development).
- Porting into iOs/Android/Windows Mobile (5K and 1 month of development after final game is ready).
What we will spend it for - our team only!
That's pretty all we need to be ready to present it to you and gather your thoughts on what else you'd like to see at the game (may be it could be than added as a DLC or an update)!
You get a free Steam key when game is launched.
You get a free Steam key when game is launched and we will add you to Credits (special section with our special thanks to all the backers 15+).
We have a number of prohibitions from The State - you may choose any of them and sign them with your name. Also we can add short descriptions, e.g. you don't like red socks and that's why The State decided to prohibit red socks today:) + a copy of the game and your name in the credits section.
We will add your name under a spy device description, like «made by User's factory in 1962« + a copy of the game and your name in the credits section.
Want 2 copies? No problems! Moreover, we will add wallpapers to your cart and include your name in the credits section!
Walls look too boring? Why not to add your nickname on them - just like a street graffity? Let's do it! + a copy of the game and your name in the credits section.
There are tons of game items. How about your signature on them? Say, a novel cover that states it”s written entirely by you! + 2 free copies of the game, credits, and wallpapers!
Need 4 copies? Sure, no problems at all! Moreover, we”ll add wallpapers to your cart and include your name in the credits section!
Many people live in this big rental house that you”re in charge of... How about inventing custom NPC names? + 2 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
There is a black market dealer in the game. You may decide what the guy”s name would be! + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
We will create a custom NPC with appearance based on your photo and adapted to the general style of the game! + 2 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
There is a single bus stop near the house, and every NPC uses it on a daily basis. Do you want to give this bus stop a name of your choice? We can do it! + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
There will be a banner with your image (adapted to the game”s general style) on the bus, telling some specific information about you. For example, special note telling that your character has just won in a lottery! This information could be used somehow after you discover it. + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
Newspapers are a way to get latest news and information. We will offer several newspaper notices to you. Each notice will have a special note about a character. You could be this character - you will send us your photo, then we”ll draw it, and add it to that notice. + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
Game would have several story-specific characters. You could become one of these characters! Just send us your photo, then we”ll draw and adapt it to the game”s style. Also you will get a Golden Edition box with stickers, a T-shirt, a cap and banners inside! + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
The State is afraid of revolutionary moods. You could become the Revolution leader! Just send us your photo, then we”ll draw and adapt it to the game”s style. Also you will get a Golden Edition box with stickers, a T-shirt, a cap and banners inside! + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
Here comes an opportunity to give names to the game”s main character and all his family members! Also you will get a Golden Edition box with stickers, a T-shirt, a cap and banners inside! + 3 free copies of the game, wallpapers, and your name in the credits section!
Risks and challenges
"Warm Lamp Games" is a new name for the market meanwhile we were all working at big and well-known companies since 1999. Mainly, we were working on Casual Games and developed titles like Snark Busters series, latest Farm Frenzy games and many more!
But that's even a second reason as the first one is that we want to complete our common dream - we were always wanted to create something more than casual and Beholder is a title that we live in! This is our little baby and we do our best to grow it up and show it to public!
Also, each backer will receive an early demo build that would allow you to dive into this dystopian atmosphere and see what we did already! And you will receive it before a budget is reached!
Moreover, each backer will receive game copy 2 weeks prior to official game launch! Greenlight for this project is launched already!
Please, support Beholder as somebody is already watching after us!