I am a Mexican programmer who came to Germany 7 years ago. While learning German, I used to read texts and listen to audiobooks in German, and it was great when I understood, but sometimes, there were those 1 or 2 words that I didn't know and would ruin my experience. To solve this problem, one year ago I had the idea to create Beelinguapp, an app that would enable people to read in a second language.
- Show the exact same text in two languages (your native and the one you are learning) side by side, highlighting the sentence you are reading in both sides.
- Function as an audiobook, with recordings of native speakers reading the texts out loud.
- Let you follow the audio in the text with its karaoke reading animation.
After 10 months of hard after-work and weekend coding, I was able to release the Android version of Beelinguapp, using only my time and my money I hired 15 translators from around the world and I built a system where they could write the translations and record their voices.
Beelinguapp for Android currently supports: English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, Russian, Chinese, Turkish and Arabic.
Beelinguapp shows some ads to the users and has around 30-40% of the texts at a cost (the lowest price the play store allows me to).
Android users are already using and loving Beelinguapp; but unfortunately their choices of texts and languages are very limited, so my vision is not yet complete, I seek to reach and satisfy more learners through:
- Many more stories and texts (currently I only have 31)
- Support for more languages, such as Italian, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Polish, etc...
- A well-built and polished iPhone app.
- Some support managing the logistics, unfortunately I cannot both program and design the app and handle the logistics of dealing with the translators, social media, searching for new texts, etc...
Some websites with content I would love to use such as sciencenews.org require payment for permission to use their texts and I need some of those because I would love to use as many interesting sources as possible.
I realized I need someone to help me with the development of a high quality iOS version of Beelinguapp, I've reached the limit of the amount of work I can do on my own with my iOS developing knowledge.
My commitment to you if the money is raised is to have available in Beelinguapp at least:
- 70 texts
- 13 languages
- A working iOS version
By June 2017 at the most.
Here are some screenshots of what the Android app looks like and how the iOS app will look as well: