"It's a great idea...the fact that it's a parody of the entire gaming genre, opens so many doors...every setting and game is a potential target...[even] different genres, like in 8th grade, my friend wanted to bring Glitterboy armor from Rifts into my D&D campaign..." - Sergio Monfort, play-tester.
Warning! These books will contains adult language, sexual content, tasteless humor and cartoon violence. The world's first Rated R role-playing game. Rating given by the RPGAA.
Preorder your pledge today! For a limited time only!
Get the Beasties & Bygones Corebook:
And 4 full Adventures, a Quick-Start Adventure, and a Supplement (PDFs):
This game would NEVER be made by a traditional publisher and that's why we went to Kickstarter.
The Beasties & Bygones: Corebook and the Season One Adventure Bundle for both the Dungeon World and 3.5 OGL role-playing game rules systems (and potentially other systems) a reality. The books will include satirical takes on classes, magic items, adventures, races and monsters from classic fantasy worlds like D&D, Lord of the Rings, Norse mythology, Greek mythology and much more.
Beasties & Bygones is the tabletop role-playing
game featured in Game Knights the series.
Beasties & Bygones is an irreverent, upside down RPG that gives you permission to go too far. Satirical, edgy, social commentary with a comedic overtones. There will be no titillating nudity, but there will be mature themes explored for comedic lampooning. We created a parody game world called Al'tearth where your characters can attack taboo topics while exploring, socializing and misadventuring.
All books will be available in Dungeon World and 3.5 Open Game License. To learn about the Dungeon World Rules System click here: Dungeon World!
Growing up, when I would GM a game for my friends, the sessions would rapidly de-evolve into a barrel of raunchy laughs and taboo shenanigans. Soon, I embraced our play group style and started writing adventures that were more like raunchy cartoons. After all, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Our philosophy: It can't be wrong if it makes us laugh!
I moved to LA after film school and began film-making and animating. Along the way, I met many fellow gamers and artists. After exchanging hilarious gaming stories with Edward Shannon and Patrick Carpenter, we created the Game Knights half-animated series. We needed a prop, parody version of D&D for the characters to play, so Beasties & Bygones was born! We ended up filling this fantasy game world with so much satire, silliness and raunchy comedy that we realized B&B was too big for just a show, so we started creating the real B&B RPG using storytelling techniques I learned in film school.
We are making this ridiculous, possibly offensive parody of D&D because it's funny!
Play your own raunchy cartoon series one episode at a time. This kickstarter will fund the creation of the Beasties & Bygones campaign sourcebook and a season of comedy RPG adventures in the Season One Adventure Bundle.
Every episode/adventure is crafted around a subject and a thematic question. The players can be aware of the subject but they shouldn't know the exact thematic question. The subject for The Ivory Tower of Decency adventure is censorship, but the thematic question could be: Is freedom of expression worth the risk of Tainting your children?
Beasties & Bygones adventures are written in a loose 3 act structure.
Most fronts/encounters represent a different angle/bullet point that will either support the one point of view or support the opposite point of view through challenging dangers/encounters within a loose three act structure. B&B adventures are always designed as if the antagonist is the main character. The players decide how their characters change/grow through role-playing, spending XP, and bonding. Also, it gives the antagonist more depth.
If players get too distracted or stagnant the GM can play a Plot Twist. That will change the direction of the whole adventure and move the story along. The Plot Twists typically represent the opponent's actions off-screen!
Al'tearth's geography is almost an exact replica of Medieval Earth because it was created with a powerful clone spell by an earthborn wizard from middle ages named Gareth Guygaxian. Since it was created to protect the creatures of magic, it is a low-tech world. The clone spell drained Earth of it's magic, superstitions, "Mythical Creatures" and Ancient Gods.
Many Mythical Creatures call Al'tearth their home but most Beasties were tainted upon arrival:
- Some creatures were but a daydream on Earth & now exist in Al'tearth, like the Dingle Faeries; tainted faeries that serve the Excremental Gods.
- Some creatures were merged into one like the Chupasasquatch; The Chupacabra of Mexican lore merged with the Sasquatch or like Mime-pyres; who were Vampires that merged with Mimes.
Ancient Gods from all mythologies have been twisted into bizarre bygones of their former selves. They govern each other with a yearly award ceremony and grant each other positions in the Zodiac Council. Sampling of Bygones:
- Penetor, the God of Fertility was Priapus in Ancient Greece.
- Hermaphrodite wasn't always the androgynous lord of sexual ambiguity, s/he was once Aphrodite, Greek God of love, beauty, and sexual passion:only
The races are fragmented across this medieval alter-earth and are as varied as the lands they originated from on earth:
- Satyrs are a debaucherous society that elects it's king every four years with a triathlon that includes competing in a drinking challenge, a talent show and public intimate performances. They must have intimacy every 7 days or they frenzy.
- Three-Quarterlings are halflings that grew a little taller then their halfling cousins and have formed a a society that is pretty close to Utopia. They come in all colors and the only judgement they make on each other is size. The taller they are the more status received.
- Half-Ettins are, essentially a race of co-joined twins. They are rather rare and their life involves heavy co-operation because each head controls half of he body. (Note this will be a cool role-play option as two players can play one half of a character. Wrestling for control of each action or cooperating and making two heads truly better than one.)
Download the free Sneak Peek PDF today!
The Jester is an important figure in the world of Al'tearth!
Jesters are somehow linked to the evil wild magic called the Taint so they can invoke the Taint to cause randomness and impossible things to happen but they have no control over it. There are other more controlled ways a Jester can channel this magical connection. Some of their spells/jokes require people to laugh and most of them feature what we call a Targeted (AOE) Area of Effect.
Here are some other things Jesters can do:
- Scepterphone - Jesters have a special scepter called a Scepterphone. This acts as a wand/mace and microphone. Since most jokes affect an area of people who can hear, the scepter extends your potential targets.
- The Best Medicine - Heal a small amount of points but its a targeted AOE. And much more.
- Run the Crowd - Move crowds or distract guards.
- Summon Marionette - A little homunculus that will do your bidding, even if it means walking into traps to set them off.
- Summon Ventriloquist Dummy - A larger homunculus that will do your bidding that can throw voices and is a stronger.
The Dungeon World B&B Sneak Peek PDF contains new Magic Items like the Breastplate of Beguiling and the Codpiece of Comeliness, Parody Monsters & the Jester Class Playbook. (Alpha Version)
The Ivory Tower of Decency Quickstart PDF features a three part adventure, new magic items, monsters and pre-made characters. (from the Game Knights series)
Not long ago in a quaint town, a powerful Wizard's child came home and said a bad word. This strict puritan Wizard was so offended, he cast a "Protection from Words" spell on his own child, so if he ever spoke that bad word again it would be bleeped. The Wizard was pleased with himself until he noticed that his child was coming home every day, depressed and defeated. He was considered an outsider for not being able to curse while his friends could freely f-bomb each other. The angry Wizard decided, to protect his children from exposure to what he called "bad words", he had to cast the spell on the other children as well. He gathered the most powerful wizards and convinced them that to protect their offspring, they had to join forces. They did cast the "Protection from Words" spell and not just on all the children but the whole town. Now children could never hear damaging words again and the Wizards Communication Cabal was born.
Our adventurers stumble into town and are greeted by merchants selling wares, children playing in the streets and somber adult faces. They start noticing the townsfolk are using nonsensical words in place of curses. Eventually, they hear the bleeping as someone attempts to curse. The wizards flex their magic muscles, as more and more words are deemed indecent and thus bleeped out of existence. Soon they target the evil flesh that could tempt our children and a "Protection from Flesh" spell is cast. Everybody in the town, including the players have blurry ankles because the wizards decided they didn't want their children seeing a naked ankle. An underground resistance called the Coalition of Cussing (CoC) has been gathering. They've been meeting to curse at each other, define codes for "bad words" and to look at each other's ankles. ;) Will the Wizards accomplish their sanitized goal of having a town full of blurry people bleeping at each other?
The B&B Corebook contains the following and more:
Al'tearth is almost an exact replica of Medieval Earth in it's geography but since it was created to protect the creatures of magic, it is a low-tech world. The spell drained Earth of it's magic, superstitions, "Mythical Creatures" and Ancient Gods. They were pulled into this new magic infused world, where reason and technology have no hold.
Today Al'tearth is a strange, twisted world where long forgotten creatures fight the Taint from the South and the Gods watch mortals on Magic Mirrors, like people watch reality shows on Earth.
Many Mythical Creatures call Al'tearth their home but most Beasties were tainted upon arrival:
- Some creatures were once a daydream on Earth but now exist only in Al'tearth, like theDingle Faeries; tainted faeries that are servants to the Excremental Gods.
- Some creatures were morphed into one like the Chupasasquatch; it was created when theChupacabra of Mexican lore was merged with a Sasquatch or like Mime-pyres; who were Vampires that merged with Mimes.
- Bi-Nicorns are randy animals that were once Unicorns that grew another horn when they came over. Two horns, no limits. Some say that Hermaphrodite has a special love for these creatures and watches over them, kind-a like we watch Animal Planet.
Ancient Gods from all mythologies have been twisted into bizarre bygones of their former selves. They govern each other with a yearly award ceremony where they grant positions in the Zodiac Council. All creatures are born under a zodiac sign. The Gods govern the population based on the sign/seat they rule. For example, Leo is a seat at the council of 12. Here are some Bygones:
- Penetor, the God of Fertility was Priapus in Ancient Greece.
- Hermaphrodite wasn't always the androgynous lord of sexual ambiguity, s/he was onceAphrodite, Greek God of love, beauty, and sexual passion.
- Uranus, The Evil Brown Eye...I think you get the picture.
The Races are fragmented across this medieval alter-earth landscape and are as varied as the lands they originated from on earth, only distorted:
- The Satyrs are a debaucherous society that elects it's king every four years with a triathlon that includes competing in a drinking challenge, a talent show and public intimate performances. They must have intimacy every 7 days or they frenzy.
- The Three-Quarterlings are halflings that grew a little taller then their halfling cousins and have formed a a society that is pretty close to Utopia. These people come in all colors and the only judgement they make on each other is size. The taller the Three-Q the more status received.
- Anthronoids and Half-Anthros are animals that evolved when they magically entered Al'tearth. They walk upright and are intelligent and are not people in Furry costumes.
- The Half-Ettins are a race, essentially of co-joined twins. They are rather rare and their life involves heavy co-operation because each head controls half of he body. (GM: Note this will be a cool role-play option as two players can play one half of a character. Wrestling for control of each action or cooperating and making two heads truly better than one.)
The Season One Adventure Bundle currently comes with:
- The Temple of Excremental Evil - A three-part mega adventure parodying a famous RPG adventure.
- Porcelain Pantheon - A chapter about Excrementals, Excremental Magic & Excremental Wizards & you guessed it, Exceremental Gods.
- The Isolation of Clog - A three-part adventure about a halfling, a mountain town and it's dragon.
- Beer & Loathing in the Labyrinth - A three-part adventure that parodies the Minotaur's Labryinth and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.
Stretch goals added more adventures and supplemental material to the Season One Adventure Bundle for example:
To share the campaign you need to click on "Share this Project" and then the ‘f’ share button under the video at the top of the campaign page.
To like us on Facebook go to facebook.com/CriticalHitMedia
Game Knights is a half-animated show that explores the relationship of a group of social misfits that can’t wait to escape their mundane lives and play Beasties & Bygones, a parody comedy role-playing game that takes them into a fantasy world where they can be and do what this modern world won't allow.
Episode One Part One will be released launch day!
Game Knights uses animation to represent the in-game characters and their adventures!
The actors on the show play two characters, the players gaming in real life and the characters they imagine they are in animated adventures.
Watch a Game Knights series promo & Episode 1 on the Kickstarter:
Beasties & Bygones is an irreverent, upside down RPG that gives you permission to go too far.
Growing up, when I would DM a game, I would get frustrated because the sessions would rapidly de-evolve into a barrel of raunchy laughs. Soon enough, I embraced our play group style and started writing adventures that were more like raunchy cartoons. After all, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
The rule that seemed to stay with us was:
It can't be wrong, if it makes us laugh!
"I moved to Los Angeles after film school and began filmaking and animating. Along the way I met many fellow gamers and artists. After sharing wacky gaming stories with Edward Shannon and others, I realized that these tall tales needed to be released to the world, so we created the Game Knights series. Mostly as a prop, we needed a parody version of D&D for the characters to play, so Beasties & Bygones was born. We ended up filling this fantasy game world with so much satire, silliness and raunchy comedy that we had another realization, B&B was too big for just a half-animated series, so we began work creating the Beasties & Bygones RPG." - Javier Palenzuela.
All we need now, is finishing funds and support in unlocking stretch goals so we can comission more artwork and writers.
Gen Con 2014 - B&B interview with Bower's Game Corner:
This kickstarter funds the creation of the Beasties & Bygones Campaign Sourcebook and the Season One Adventure Bundle.
The Critical Hit Media crew are life-long tabletop gamers from all walks of life.
- Edward Shannon, a gamer, animator, violist, composer & electronic musician.
- Raymond Donahey, a gamer, playwright and classically trained actor.
- John Barrera, a gamer, screenwriter and all around funny guy.
- Javier Palenzuela, a gamer, animator, writer, podcaster and standup comedian.
- Fernando Palenzuela
- Eli Ziev
- Oscar Finlayson
- Javier Palenzuela
- More artists coming soon!
Some cartoon elements provided by Cartoon Solutions via license. (c) Cartoon Solutions.
Dungeon World rulesystem is the work of Sage LaTorra and Adam Koebel.
Dungeon World rulesystem is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.
- This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
- Warning! These books will contains adult language, sexual concepts and cartoon violence.